The National Emergency Grant
What is NEG? The National Emergency Grant is awarded to communities in response to large and unexpected events which has resulted in significant job losses. Amongst other services; funds are utilized to assist laid off workers by offering training/education to increase occupational skills that will enhance employability and independence. Due to the Hovensa plant closure, the Virgin Islands is the recipient of grant funds that are allotted to assisting the affected individuals to successfully return to the workforce.
What services does NEG offer? Core, Intensive and Training Services
Core services include:
- Job search and placement assistance (including career counseling);
- Labor market information (identifies job vacancies, skills needed for in-demand jobs, and local, regional and national employment trends);
- Initial assessment of skills and needs;
- Provision of supportive services information including transportation and child care (to eligible participants);
- Provision of information regarding filing claims for unemployment compensation; and
- Some follow-up service to help customer keep their jobs once placed.
Intensive services include:
- Comprehensive and specialized assessments;
- Development of individual employment plans;
- Group and individual counseling and career planning;
- Case management for participants seeking training services; and
- Short-term pre-vocational services.
Training services include:
- Training services directly linked to job opportunities in their local area, which may include:
- Occupational skills training;
- On-the-job training;
- Entrepreneurial training;
- Skill upgrading;
- Job readiness training; and
- Adult education and literacy activities in conjunction with other training.
Who is eligible for the program? Persons who lost employment due to the HOVENSA plant closure on April 20, 2012. Only employees of the following companies are eligible to receive services through the NEG program:
- Turner St. Croix Maintenance
- Wyatt VI Inc.
- Christiansted Equipment Ltd.
- Primaisla Inc.
- Acuren Inspection Inc.
- Sun Construction
- Industrial Services Unlimited, Inc.
- Virgin Valve & Control
- ESS Support Services Worldwide
- SGS North America, Inc.
- Total Maintenance
- Oil Tanking Dupre
- LDAR, VI
- Spirax Sarco, Inc.
- VI Recycling Company
- Total Safety
When can I obtain services from the NEG program? Immediately
If interested, how do I access services? Some services can be accessed on line by visiting www.vidol.gov and registering with VIEWS. Additional services will require a visit to the Department of Labor located at 4401 Sion Farm, Christiansted, VI 00820 Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:00am-5:00pm. Please request to speak with a member of the NEG team.
Who do I contact for more information about NEG? Please contact Shauna Bass at the Virgin Islands Department of Labor (340) 773-1994 Ext. 2213 or any member of the NEG team.